Conditions for Salaah
Seven conditions that must be observed before saying salaah.
♦ Taahir (clean) body;
- That one’s body should be clean of all najaasat (uncleanliness).
- Najaasat is of two kinds: one haqeeqi and the other hukmi.
- The najaasat which can be seen is called haqeeqi najaasat, for example urine, stool, blood, wines.
- When a man is without wuduu’ or bath (when he needs it), he has hukmi najaasat.
- It is necessary to be free from both types of najaasat for saying salaah.
- By wuduu’ one can clean oneself from the lesser type of hukmi najaasat.
♦ Taahir dress;
♦ Taahir place of prayer;
♦ Covering the satar (the private parts of one’s body);
♦ The correct time of the salaah;
♦ Facing towards the qiblah; and
♦ Niyyah or intention of saying salaah.